Saturday, 21 July 2012 23:36
Because of its springs, the town was founded thousands of years ago. A prehistoric settlement existed in this place way back in the 5th century BC. A Thracian settlement from the 4th – 3rd centuries BC was also established in the region. The settlement’s heyday was during the Roman era. In 293 Emperor Diocletian declared it a town and this marked the beginning of the construction of massive fortification walls, public buildings, baths, streets, etc.
It became the third biggest town in Thracia Province. In terms of state of preservation and uniqueness of its fortification system, the Roman town of Diocletianopolis is among the top-ranked in Europe. The fortification wall is 2327 m long and up to 11 m high in certain sections. The southern gate also known as the Camels stands 13 m tall. The urban architecture of the ancient town is mainly situated in Hisarya’s Momina salza Park (Maiden’s Tear Park).
There visitors will find a large and impressive public building (residence), thermal springs stretching over an area of around 2000 sq m, and an amphitheatre. 300 m south of the fortified town lies a Roman family tomb. It has been preserved in its original form and is open for visitors. A multicoloured floor mosaic and rose wall-paintings can be found there.
The town located on the territory of the ancient fortress and the monuments of culture /fortified wall, amphitheatre, public buildings, Christian basilicas, barracks, villas, thermal springs, and a Roman tomb/ comprise Diocletianopolis National Archaeological Reserve.
The name Hisarya derives from the Arabic word hisar which means fortress. The Archaeological Museum in the town displays finds discovered during archaeological excavations carried out in Hisarya, as well as models of the amphitheatre, a residential building, an early-Christian basilica and the Camels southern gate.
The town is famous for its beautiful, cool parks. They spread out on an area of 700 decares and include more than 160 decorative tree species.
St. Panteleimon Orthodox Temple built in 1889 is located at the centre of the town. It is well-known for its wall-paintings. St. Dimitar, the oldest Orthodox temple /built in 1845/ situated in Verigovo Housing Estate, is also interesting. In addition to these two temples, there are also: another Orthodox temple, two Catholic churches and one mosque in Hisarya.
The Hisarya Region abounds in archaeological monuments from the Thracian period. The biggest Thracian religious complex in Bulgaria dated from the 6th – 5th centuries BC is located near Starosel Village (Old Village). The residence of a Thracian ruler is situated 22 km north of it, below Kozi gramadi Peak (Goat Masses Peak), where research is in progress. A Thracian trade centre located near Krashtevich Village dating back to the 6th – 4th centuries BC is also being researched.
The road to Starosel passes through Staro Zhelezare Village where tourists can visit the House of Traditions – an ethnographical exhibition that reveals the customs and the traditions of the region through demonstrations of everyday-life activities of the past and tastings of home-cooked dishes.
The mineral waters, which the town of Hisarya is famous for, are used for the treatment of kidney and urologic diseases, gallbladder diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, as well as musculoskeletal diseases. Their healing effects can be achieved by drinking the water as well as through aqua procedures for the prevention and rehabilitation of diseases in combination with physiotherapy and diets.
Hisarya provides many accommodation opportunities: from small family guesthouses to luxurious 4-star hotels. The majority of the hotels have modern spa and balneological centres offering a great variety of rehabilitation and treatment procedures. The resort provides various forms of entertainment and good opportunities for sport: indoor and outdoor mineral water swimming pools, tennis, volleyball, basketball, cycling, horse riding, motocross, paintball, etc., as well as hunting and fishing.